Tuesday, May 13, 2008

First Lessons

I have been trying to digest my first experience of Zen – more accurately Chan - meditation. I took my first class last week, though I had been practicing based on my readings and study for a number of weeks.

Every now and then, you get just the faintest glimpse of Satori, as sort of a far off feeling of peace and wholeness. Once glimpsed, it just flits away as my thoughts jump to “I got it!”

Well, I don’t, really.

This will take time. Thomas Merton, a Catholic monastic, was in a monastery for years before he had his Satori experience (on his way to a dentist in Kentucky as I understand the story). Most practitioners never reach this state, so I am not sure why I am pressing myself so hard on this.

In the meantime, I have noted that I am more aware of my actions and far calmer then I have felt in the past. I also find it easier to focus on tasks since I have begum meditation. Perhaps it is like physical therapy for the brain. Just as physical therapy helps heal muscles and bone, this helps heal the psyche.

The seated breath counting meditation helps a great deal. I found that the walking meditation was not as easy, as I was always afraid I would step on the guy in front of me.

I was fascinated by the dharma talk given by Venerable Master Jian Zong at the Houston Chung Tai Zen center. He described an essential element of Buddhism as thinking. That is one of the great attractions for me and I am looking forward to more.

No comments: